- External branches and forks.
- Mirroring archives for faster read-only access.
- Development while disconnected from internet.
Package distribution and portage systems
- A debian package maintainer may manage debian/ subdirectory
and update it accourding to the mainstream, without submitting it back.
- Software distributions may construct a set of ports from multiple
repositories and maintain such portage system in RCS that allows this.
- A site may maintain its own web theme in RCS and synchronize
the web software with the mainstream. Optional back submission.
Examples of maintaining a custom template set for